Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Plaid Horror at Midwinter

Rachel models the finished Plaid Horror at the Midwinter Gaming Convention in Milwaukee this January. It was well received. I think next year, we're looking to add some terrible faux rat fur trim to it, or something equally repulsive. It needs more stuff dangling from it.

I ended up not hitching up the train of the skirt polonaise style, but I think I should have. It looks bigger and more flouncy. Also, I'm thinking a ruffle or something on the bottom of the underskirt.

We'll get you on the best dressed list yet, my dear.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

18th Century Casualties

Damned cat peed in a box that contained the better part of my 18th century wardrobe. It's currently in the wash. I'm trying to save it, but it doesn't look good.

Of course then, I had to be an idiot and put the Indian sari regency dress in with the others, and the dye bled. It's a disaster. I think the synthetics may make it out alright, but the green silk taffeta might be unrecoverable. The petticoat might be ok, but the gown might have danced it's last ball.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Plaid Horror Final Fitting

So my friend who commissioned this monstrosity recently started seeing a nutritionist. I ended up having to take it in almost an inch and a half on each shoulder seam and an inch at the back. I guess the exercise in tailoring an already-finished garment was worthwhile, but more than a little obnoxious. Now all that needs doing is attaching the flat hooks on the skirts.

The whole idea behind this dress was the contrast of the close-fitting, tailored bodice cut to fit over a corset, the elegant drapery of the 1880s, and the mismatched fabrics. It had to fit perfectly.

As for process, I started with several ugly non-flannel plaid shirts from several different thrift stores, clean and pressed. I used cotton twill as an interlining for added stiffness and basted the two together. The lining is a simple white muslin, and the edges of the armholes are bound in different color plaids. My cat, Marco helped. The front closure is a series of hooks and eyes about an inch apart, and there are a pair of cable ties in the center front helping the bodice to not appear puckered.

Friday, January 13, 2012

1880 Natural Form Research

A totally surreal experience this morning googling "natural form overskirt" and "1880 overskirt", I kept finding images of my own work. I don't know whether to be happy about that, or disappointed.