Friday, January 29, 2010

Travel Tea Box

January 2010

Fabric: Red velvet from a torn up skirt, leftover black crepe
Pattern: Trial and error

I often bring a tea set to various LARPs, and I needed a way to transport it without fear of it being broken. Foam seemed a natural choice. DN's mother had some foam leftover from a custom made windowseat, so I took a razor to it to make fitted inserts for a cheap little tea set I bought at the Asian grocery store.

Step one: buy tea set and find a box big enough for it.

Step Two: Cut foam in the size and shape of the box.

Step Three: Trace the shapes of the teapot and cups in the foam. Step Four: Use the razor blade to score the foam, and then pick it out with fingers in the shape of the teapot and cups.

Step Five: Cut foam to fit the top half of the box, and make necessary cut-outs so the teapot and cups fit snugly between the two layers.

Step Six: Cover foam with fabric and secure with hot glue in the recessions and on the back.

To see the nitty gritty of the process and the how to, visit

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Green Wool Frock Coat

Conceived as a novelty from the leftovers of AS's coat, I combined the neckline of the JP Ryan waistcoat, the box pleats of the JP Ryan frock coat, and the general shape of the simplicity pattern. I removed the godets the Simplicity pattern calls for - the fullness is more reminiscent of the 17th century - and added a rather 19th century looking standing collar.

I think the collar could have used something to stiffen it - or maybe I'll remove it. It's itchy and in an awkward place, but it looks somewhat unfinished without it. Also, the cotton lining does not slide the way I would like, and clothes worn under the coat bunch up in terrible ways. I suppose it's a work in progress. I intended to wear it as an every-day outer garment, but the buttons and general anachronistic feel make me a bit apprehensive about wearing it in public as clothing and not some theatrical costume.